Photography Newb: What am I missing? What don't I need?

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,096
You got too much stuff

Who Is Christopher wrote:

I am very new to photography and am jumping in feet first here. I plan to explore lots of different facets of photography. I hope you'll indulge some newbie questions and forgive my ignorance.

I'm starting a new photography hobby and have inherited and/or purchased the following lenses and equipment for my new Canon EOS 7D :

Which, if any, of these lenses is redundant? Would the money I've spent on these be better spent on another lens or different piece of equipment?

Do I need filters for these lenses? What do I need to keep in mind when purchasing filters? My understanding is (please correct me) that UV filters are primarily used to protect the lenses. Do I need polarizing filters too? Or any other kind?

What about photo editing software? Where should I start? Right now I have PaintShop Pro X5. Should I spend the big bucks and invest in Photoshop?

I also have the following items:

I may be getting some equipment for portraits: lights, umbrellas, backdrops, etc. What about additional flashes? What should I purchase? I am considering Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite Flash or Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash.

What about gels? Diffusers?

Where am I going astray? Am I on track? Overdoing it? Missing something vital I'll regret later?

Please forgive me if I am asking too much at once. I appreciate any and all advice you have to give. Thank you so much

That's a pretty impressive collection of equipment. Good stuff, too. But I would suggest locking it all up except for the camera, the 18-135 and the tripod and trying to take pictures for a month. Otherwise your brain will get fried trying to pick out what you should use.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow