5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
OP Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 15,514
Re: I'd like to see the G15 thrown into the mix...

qianp2k wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

...to see if there's any substantial difference. I'm betting there won't be. So, does this mean that the reason for choosing one system over another is DOF range, noise in low light (noting that less noise in lower light comes as a direct result from wider apertures necessarily resulting in a more shallow DOF), and/or operation?

Without knowing anything about the G15. I wouldn't dare speculate,

I am waiting to see. I have a similar S95 that also based on 1/1.7" sensor. Personally I don't believe this could possible when view at full size level such as upsampling G15 photo to D800 full size as I did on 5D3 file. I know from S95 files that still look good below 2000-pixel wide but DSLRs are obvious better in color tonality, smoothness and sharpness

but didn't someone just recently prove in a Canon forum that a recent model crop beat the 5D in resolution quite handily due to the higher pixel density at capture?

Do you have a link? I have not seen this "prove" From my own tests between 60D and 5D1, I found this is not really true that depends on lenses, and only very few lenses Canon 18mp cameras can really benefit from to surpass 5D1 FF sensor advantage, explained well in DXO tests.

I don't have a link. That could have been posted to one of the crop forums. The scene had a large area of foliage in the foreground as in a traffic island of some kind and a building in the background with a large sign on its roof. In my mind's eye, I am trying to picture the name on the signage. I have got to start bookmarking these threads.

I am thinking that the main reason for someone to care about a comparison within the same format is for the resolution and DR but then I do not know for sure hence the reason for the link I suspect.

I would think all of the other matters you mention would be a given.

That link GB sent I have seen many times but I don't believe unless someone posts RAW files as you did. Otherwise I will put a strong grain of salt when someone said G15 beats 5D3 or D800 by posting a photo nobody else can independently verify

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow