5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
OP Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,216
This concern plus others have been aired out on the Nikon forum

John Sheehy wrote:

Some might criticize the methodology and some might criticize the extreme nature of the crop but I can assure everyone that no matter the conditions, comparing an equal crop from these two systems will produce visible differences unless the crops are very minor.

Your downsampled images are much less pixel-sharp than your originals, so you are equalizing them somewhat in the downsizing process.

You have converted the D800E images with less contrast, making them look less detailed.

ad nauseum so I am a bit weary from the discussions and I am sure folks are weary of hearing from me but suffice it to say that the images posted were one of several comparisons andwere never intended to be the definitive head to head comparison. I keep reviewing the verbiage used and I do not see how this could have been misunderstood. Let's not fixate on my comparisons alone.

I posted other scenarios in the first thread and provided RAWs so that each individual could do what they will with the files so that my noodlings could be completely ignored if the reader so chose.

My current plans are for a D3x vs. D800 comparison (probably restricted to the Nikon forum) and possibly a 5D3/24-70 II vs. D800E/24-70G comparison.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow