5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,559
Limits

Jay A wrote:

At any rate, back to the original discussion.

My point was, it is necessary to have about 72 pixels per inch to view a photograph on a monitor. Anything higher and you just will not be able to see any difference.

Unless, you zoom in and match native resolutions. Then it is pretty easy to see differences in resolution.

From Luminous Landscape: " images on-screen typically need a maximum of 72 PPI. If a file has higher resolution than that it simply looks no different on screen. The only real difference will be that the file will be bigger and will therefore be slower to download."

True, if you're talking about limiting to full frame....zsame applies to print if you limit how close you can stand.

On the other hand, if someone makes judgements by viewing the results only on his monitor, he is kidding himself. Yes, SOME comparisons can be made, but there is much more that cannot.

Unless you zoom in Then very easy to make valid comparison as long as you keep things equivalent. Only think you might not be able to compare is how the images look printed on a certain paper.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow