5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: 5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Jay A wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

Jay A wrote:

I hate to sound like a jerk, but I am getting so tired of people trying to compare cameras and lenses by posting images from them on websites. Honestly, it's like trying to compare audio qualities between a $50,000 audiophile system and a $25 system by listening to each of them through your cell phone.

Someone made mention of the limiting factor having something to do with the lenses used. Well, when making these judgements, the limiting factor is the monitor you view these photographs on!

Can't anyone see this?

That said, having owned both a D800e and now a 5D MKIII I can say...yes the Nikon has better potential as far as how the final product will look. But one must realize that the way to realize this difference is by printing the images...and printing them BIG. You are comparing a 22mp sensor to a 36mp sensor. What do you think is magically happening to make the 22mp sensor produce images that look as good as or better than a 36mp sensor? It's the same argument the micro 4/3 people make by stating that their images look as good if not better than one from a 5D MKIII or a D800e. Got news for you guys..it just aint so! They may look as good to you, but use comparable lenses and blow both images up to 30x40 and then tell me which looks better.

Again, sorry to sound like jerk about this, but plain and simple, you cannot judge anything by viewing on a monitor from a website.

How appropriate...yes lets bring $50,000 audiophool systems into a discussion about diminishing or even reversal of retruns.

If there is one thing nice about camera's and images, at least you can actually see differences vs hear imaginary improvements in one cable vs another.

Actually, have you ever heard a $50,000 audio system in a room built for it? Very impressive and it's not imaginary at all.

Seeing as the actual *room* probably has the highest bearing on the sound quality of a $1000 system much less a $50,000 one, it doesn't tell me much...

And yes I've heard many megabuck speaker and headphone systems and the industry is fraught with snake oil.

Also I took a blind test years ago to distinguish between an original PCM recording vs the mp3 encoding at various bitrates where the recording was spliced at different intervals for different encodings, and I was just about the only one to be able to determine the difference, so I can hear just fine.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow