Depth of Field Preview feature ?

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,216
It's the mechanics

lbj1891 wrote:

I always wondered about this, but after you explained it, it makes perfect sense. I noticed that if I am in a low light situation and say I'm stopped down at f22, if I switch over to live view the screen is extremely dark. However, If i switch out of live view momentarily and go all the up to f5.6, then switch back to live view, my screen is bright regardless of how I adjust aperture while I am still in live view. Nikon's live view effectively removes any possibility of DoF preview, at least in the lower end cameras like mine. They should fix this.

It's hard to fix. What it looks like is that the mirror is mechanically linked to the stopdown lever. So any time the mirror is up, the lens is stopped down. As far as being able to adjust the aperture in live view, this may be impossible because of how the lever is controlled.

I'm not sure but I think that the top-dollar Nikons like the D4 don't subject their users to this stupidity.

Canon has all-electronic control of their lenses so they have no problem making live view work in a usable manner.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow