5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bamboojled Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: 5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

qianp2k wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Some might criticize the methodology and some might criticize the extreme nature of the crop but I can assure everyone that no matter the conditions, comparing an equal crop from these two systems will produce visible differences unless the crops are very minor.

Your downsampled images are much less pixel-sharp than your originals, so you are equalizing them somewhat in the downsizing process.

You have converted the D800E images with less contrast, making them look less detailed.

These are what I did by upsampling 5DIII file to the same size of D800E in CS6, everything is default/zero setting in ACR, the steps everyone can duplicate. Certainly you can see difference by pixel peeping but is pretty small even at D800E full size.

On the first image I can see the bricks in the building when I use the loupe function on the D800E vs. mush with the 5DIII, I can also clearly see the electrical cables, I can also see the pattern of the railing on the far right side of the balconies with the chair, i would say this is pretty significant.

On the second image I can clearly see the brickwork on the smokestack using the same Loupe function were the 5DIII is mushy and grainy, I can also make out detail in the grassy area and detail on the container. Again much more...

On the last the flag is clearly discernible, making out the difference in colors, the grass has detail, and the building has detail in the brick work.

As far as diminishing returns... if I have available to me a camera that has greater dynamic range, far more detail even when you uprez the Canon and process it in it's proprietary software, I would say that there is no advantage to the Canon, especially when you consider that the pricing is $200 less for the Nikon over the Canon.

Just my thoughts on this string of posts...:)

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=canon+5dIII

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?searchinfo=Nikon+D800e

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow