5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
SubPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,238
Re: 5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Timbukto wrote:

Even your Capture One examples are not compelling in showing a large difference...especially when we are comparing an AA-less camera with more MP, etc.

I agree, but that wasn't the point I was demonstrating. What I was aiming to show was that these kinds of comparison that involve RAW conversion, cropping and resizing are very much influenced by the process itself.  The results I obtained are the opposite of what Rick produced with ACR.

And as has been repeatedly explained, the difference is going to be also influenced by the fact that the higher res image is throwing away image information.

The biggest difference is now the tables are reversed in colors...its the 5DMKIII with more muted yellow colors lacking contrast in the trees and the D800 with more contrast.

Yes, that is strange, but again, the Capture One raw conversion  does produce very different results based on default settings and also the camera profiles.

In terms of actual PMP difference I do not see a large difference at all...the fact that people seem to be making judgement calls based on color shows how insignificant the differences are in actual detail.

Of course, becasue once you throw away the detail, what else are you going to compare. If you want to see the difference, then compare the 2 without resizing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow