is either the D4 or D800 doing well for VIDEO??

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Aaron WillisChang Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: is either the D4 or D800 doing well for VIDEO??

I'm a working professional videographer, 9-5 in-house corporate (yes, we exist), and I can tell you we treat DSLRs as any other video camera we use, and actually in many cases preferable. That said, we make up for all the shortcomings (support/audio/interfacing/etc). We are using DSLRs purely for the lenses and the sensor. All the disadvantages, and there are a lot, we fix with other means. We manual focus, we use proper mics, we use monitors, magic lantern, steadicams, etc etc etc. Not your typical YouTube filmmaker. Think Phillip Bloom.

And DSLRs are not seen as any less worthy than other cameras. And we use Canon, because they are decidedly better for many reasons in video.

As a D4 owner, however, I can tell you that all else equal (aka, switching out the 5d3 on a fully-rigged setup), the D4 performs terribly. The quality is just not good. IQ is not there. 2.7 crop mode helps a bit, but you lose a lot of the benefit of using those fancy lenses in the first place.

The D800 is better at the raw output, but I have limited experience with it. But definitely noticeably better than the D4. Sadly.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow