Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,677
Re: each has its pros and cons

vjk2 wrote:

I mean, if you look at like the Sony NEX system, the lenses are still pretty humongous because of the sensor size. Probably the same size as 18-55 DSLR lenses. So you're still carrying around this bulky non-pocketable camera, but is more expensive, doesn't have OVF, has compromises in the lens b/c it is mirrorless. But by the looks of it, the Sony NEX will have largely the same size lenses and the body saves you like 1-2 inches over a DSLR. Which is nice, but when the lens is the bulk of the length, saving size in the body seems foolish.

Another viewpoint though - not everyone measures compactness by whether it will fit in a pocket, but whether it saves weight and space compared to a DSLR.  A mirrorless system like the NEX can certainly save room and is lighter than most any DSLR as a kit and as a camera with lens.  To measure the size difference in one dimension misses the point of the NEX body - it's in overall volume that it makes up a serious size difference compared to DSLR.  Here's a very simple understanding of it for my needs:  I have a very small video bag I sometimes like to use to carry very little gear - mostly to protect from rainshowers and such.  In it, I can fit my DSLR with a single lens attached - a fairly small one at that.  Nothing else can fit - the zipper even struggles to be closed over the DSLR.  However, with the NEX-5N, I can fit the NEX-5N body with EVF, 18-55mm lens, 16mm lens plus 12mm adapter, and 55-210mm lens, plus spare battery, cleaning cloth, and even my sunglasses.  Same bag...but due to the significantly less body volume of the NEX, I can fit two more lenses and some accessories compared to the DSLR.

If pocketability is your sole measure, then a mirrorless kit isn't the right one.  If your definition of compact or lighter is strictly in comparison to a DSLR, a mirrorless can be a nice second body option.  When I go birding, my DSLR with 400mm lens weighs nearly 8Lbs and is several feet long.  When I decide it's too hot to hike 10 miles with that kit, I can opt for the NEX with a 210mm + 1.7x converter for 357mm reach, and it weighs 2.6Lbs and measures less than a foot long.  It's all in how you look at it and what you need.  I don't care for pocketable, and I want a camera smaller and lighter than a DSLR but that can still perform the same in low light...a mirrorless cam that can snap on a fast prime and has an APS-C sensor is just the ticket, for me.  And though I love my OVF, I can shoot fine on an EVF - as long as I have some kind of viewfinder, I'm happy.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
tko
tex
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow