Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,565
each has its pros and cons

Ubilam wrote:

Or, vice versa? Please educate me. State the benefits/cons of both ONLY if you have used both types to compare. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

"Hey, don't blame me."

I use m4/3 mirrorless and I also use Canon DSLR (APS-C and FF).  The Canon gear is my workhorse work gear for wedding and portrait shooting.  The m4/3 gear is the stuff I use for personal/casual/around-town/travel shooting.

DSLR pros: looks professional, it's what clients expect to see, still has the edge in AF performance

DSLR cons: heavy and bulky, pain in the butt to travel with or carry all day long, sticks out like a sore thumb so difficult to stay low-key when carrying DSLR gear

Mirrorless pros: less size/weight/bulk, easier to travel with, stealthier and less obvious to carry around, EVF has more tricks up its sleave than OVF

Mirrorless cons: AF performance not as good for fast action shooting (which I don't do anyways). doesn't look as "professional" to clients, EVF looks different from OVF and not quite as good

Now that I'm using both types, I really appreciate having both.  When I'm working, I go with my DSLR gear.  When I'm going around town, seeing friends, doing personal shooting, doing casual shooting, I go with my more compact mirrorless gear.

It's like having different pairs of shoes.  You wouldn't wear the same pair of shoes to a nice restaurant as you would to go hiking in the woods.  I guess that's why I use both DSLR and mirrorless.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
tko
tex
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow