EOS-M noise reduction settings

Started Jul 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 5,646
NR for EOS-M: images at ISO 1250 - 6400 / examples (PICS)

NCB wrote:

Just been ploughing through the DVD Manual trying to find what control there is over noise reduction. As far as I can see, there isn't any, apart from high ISO and long exposure specific settings. Is this the case?

I'm astonished if it is. What's the point of having a high resolution sensor if the detail gets wiped out by noise reduction when it isn't needed? I shoot landscapes, where detail is critical, and use ISO 100 wherever possible, when there really shouldn't be a need for noise reduction. I've just had my had my first try-out with the EOS-M, and for landscapes the results are not good; I was using the point and shoot mode, so maybe the more refined settings I've just put in may improve things. I hope so, so far my 8 year old Nikon 8400 beats it hands down!

Personally, I don't have a problem with the EOS-M producing noise. It's essentially no different than other APS-C sensor sized cameras and that includes an AWFUL lot of DSLRs. My wife uses a Canon 60D and she feels the EOS-M sensor is considerably better, especially in relation to noise. I thought they used the same sensor but I can see the differences she's talking about when I compare images side-by-side.

The EOS-M has much lower noise than earlier cameras with older (yet similar sized) sensors and that's a big advantage for those of us who want to shoot in low light without a flash. With the EOS-M, I find that the camera is effectively quite noise free from ISO 800 and under. When shooting at say ISO 1250 and higher, noise may be visible though it's often not intense enough to warrant any action to cancel it out.  Yet such minor noise is almost always resolved with editing software like Lightroom or modern editions of Adobe Photoshop... or a pluggin from a third party that interacts with either of these programs ( I use Neat Image on occasion, which is a Photoshop pluggin).

I only shoot in JEPG as I find the image-processing engine on modern Canon cameras to be effective and quite intuitive.  RAW doesn't interest me although some people making an income from their cameras might use it (eg Wedding Photographers).  Noise Reduction is applied to the images by the camera in JPEG mode but with so much software offering Noise Reduction these days, it makes sense to allow the photographer to decide when and how to apply it. We've come a LONG way from cameras that couldn't produce images over ISO 200 without generating obscene amounts of noise. Even my relatively recent s95 isn't particularly noise free at ISO 250 but it is useful. I certainly wouldn't bother to use it to take a shot at say ISO 1000+ But with the Canon EOS-M, I'll happily let it take charge by using AUTO ISO for most of my shots.

It's rare for me to need to apply noise reduction with the EOS-M but occasionally I'll apply it when processing an image on my computer if I think it won't affect other elements within the image.
Some examples below:

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 1250 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 3200 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 4000 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 1600 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 3200 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 5000 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 6400 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

EOS-M: JPEG at ISO 1250 (MINOR noise reduction applied in Lightroom)

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow