As an avid m4/3 (and other ILC) user, let me chime in here....

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030
Re: I'm sorry, but everything being subjective, I just don't....

rjjr wrote:

Ben Herrmann wrote:

As for the OMD E-M5, I find that to be a superb camera and the DR of those files are astounding for a sensor that small.

I thought so at first and I almost jumped to the OMD until I saw the amount of noise from the OMD at ISO 800 and above compared to other cameras. That noise is what turned me off to the OMD. I find the IQ of the EOS-M is much better. The EOS-M with the 22mm/2 lens (fantastic lens, BTW) cost me about a third of that the OMD body alone costs, and I can use my L lenses with the EF/EOS-M adapter should I choose to do so.

That just isn't borne out by either the DPR comparometer or DXOmark. The EOS-M is most likely using the same sensor as the 700D and noise wise they are almost identical on DPR. Then factor in that the OMD has a clear stop more DR at base ISO and it's clear that the OMD sensor is more efficient. I've used and owned both and there is no way that the EOS-M has "much better" IQ, it just doesn't.

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow