D7000: Lens upgrades, Lens brands, Lens focal-lengths. (suggestions?)

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sante Patate Veteran Member • Posts: 5,908
Re: D7000: Lens upgrades, Lens brands, Lens focal-lengths. (suggestions?)

EyesHigh wrote:

I have found the price for a Nikon 16mm-85mm DX to be around $1000NZD which I guess is a fair, but hefty, price to pay and is certainly the strongest contender out of other lenses raised for my short zoom.

An excellent lens - I use it all the time on my D7000. The only thing you are losing is the ability to isolate subjects from the background with shallow depth of field, because the maximum apertures are quite small.

What I'd like to ask about now is whether or not a couple of prime lenses would suit my needs better?

I have been looking at the 35mm 1.8G DX lens which seems ever so popular and has a reasonable price of $370NZD, and also has some very positive reviews online. What attracts me to prime lenses is how sharp and crisp the images they capture are, and how little glass they use in their construction. However, I have read of the limitations of DX lenses on FX body DSLR's and the fact that many people do not recommend using them and so had a question about the focal lengths of DX only prime lenses and non-DX (traditional) prime lenses.

Would the Nikon 35mm DX lens have a focal length of 53.2mm (35 x 1.52 (crop factor)) on the D7000 and thus give a magnified length? Or do the DX prime lenses simply match up with their advertised focal lengths (e.g. 35mm, 50mm..) when put on DX bodies?

All lenses are described by their actual focal length with no body at all attached. A DX 35mm f/1.8 has the same focal length as an FX 35mm f/2. When you attach a DX body to either lens the smaller sensor sees less of the image, and on DX you see the same as an FX sensor would see if you had a 35 x 1.5 = 53mm lens attached to the FX camera. Most DX lenses produce image circles which do not cover the 36 x 24 sensor, so the pictures would have dark edges, but otherwise a DX 35mm f/1.8 on FX would look the same as an FX 35mm f/2 on FX.

This has drawn me towards non-DX prime lenses/lenses made for FX bodies, most of which seem to have a very reasonable price. I have found the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 D (non DX) lens for only $365NZD. Similar to the question above then, would this non-DX lens give a wider view than 24mm when placed on a DX body than on an FX body - it seems very confusing? Also, AF and VR availability on non-DX Nikon primes?

The 28mm f/2.8 is not a good performer on digital cameras (http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/801-nikkorafd2828dx).  I have it and it really is not a patch on the 16-85 or the 35/1.8.  It will AF on the D7000 - all AF-D lenses will.

However, as a focal length 28mm is a very nice all-purpose lens on a DX camera. Broadly, a lens with a focal length equal to the sensor diagonal gives a look that is close to the way our eyes see a scene. The diagonal of a DX sensor is 30mm, so 28mm is quite close.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow