75mm Oly vs 35-100mm Pany on an OMD

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313
Re: 75mm Oly vs 35-100mm Pany on an OMD

grey0135 wrote:

May depend in part whether you shoot JPEG or RAW, and whether you set up LR to automatically remove CA.

Might depend on their monitor as well, and "a lot" vs. "a little" is as much a qualitative assessment as quantitative. I shoot RAW (+ JPEG), and have that LR box checked as a default, but I am nonetheless aware that these lenses suffer from what I consider to be intolerable CA otherwise.

From what I can tell, most people who complain about CA on the Panasonic lenses are JPEG shooters. Fair enough, I suppose, but no need to insult or question the integrity of others over it.

I didn't mean to be insulting, really, but your point is well taken, and I offer my apologies here to any who might have been offended.

I don't have the 35-100, but I shoot both the 7-14 and 12-35 on the OMD, and I. My LR5 import preset has the box to remove CA (I only shoot RAW). I find that I hardly ever have to perform additional corrections on the 12-35mm. Occasionally I do get marginal CA despite having the box ticked, but it's easily corrected and not even visible unless I actually go looking for it. Even then, it's often not worth worrying about. My experience is that marginal CA that is visible on screen does not show up on actual prints.

The 7-14mm, however, is a different story. I have to do additional corrections more frequently, and I sometimes get the purple blob phenomenon, which I never get on the 12-35mm. But then again, you can get photos on the 7-14 that you can't get on any other lens.

No lens is perfect, but some problems are easier to deal with than others. It's just a matter of which tradeoffs you're willing to make, and that's a personal question.

Personally, I find the CAs pretty inconsequential. My chief complaint with these lenses is the OIS I paid for but don't need, and which undoubtedly increases their size and weight. But hey, that was my choice.

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow