IS of prime 14 and 20mm lens

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Questions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: IS of prime 14 and 20mm lens

shihhan wrote:

Phillip Tornero wrote:

Hello all. My question to the forum is this, It has been stated that neither the Panasonic prime 20mm or 14mm prime use IS. My quick question to you all is this: will the Panasonic body add the needed IS or are these lenses manual focus only? Thank you all for your answers. Im thinking the camera body will compensate IS for the lenses, but I could be mistaken.

Panasonic bodies do not have IBIS (unlike Olympus bodies).
Most primes do not have OIS (except the PL 45 f2.8 macro).

Any lens on Oly = stabilised (due to IBIS)
Most Primes on Panny = unstabilised

That being said, IS has kinda been overhyped... it isn't really needed for short focal length primes,

What is your defintion of "needed"? I often shoot shorter FLs at shutter speeds such that IS is required to have decent chances of a sharp shot (when a tripod is inconvenient, too time-consuming, or not permitted).

and can't really make up for fast glass anyway.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes IS works when a faster lens would not (depending on what DoF you need).

(+ back in the old days of manual focus, no one had IS, even on massive focal lengths)

So what?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow