nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 for D7100

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
JoshRtek
JoshRtek Regular Member • Posts: 407
Both Great Lenses

I owned the Nikon 10-24mm for three years before I sold it when moving to full frame.  It's an amazing lens with great sharpness all around and a wonderful "walk around range".

I considered the Tokina 11-16mm, but when I went to purchase an ultra-wide zoom for my D90, the Tokina was out-of-stock everywhere.

I can definitely say that the constant f/2.8 aperture would definitely be useful, as I believe ultra-wides are a lot of fun to use in close-quarters areas with dim light (bars, restaurants, etc.).  Also, the Tokina is the cheaper of the two, and built to a better standard.  However, 11mm to 16mm is basically like operating an ultra-wide prime, rather than being able to go to 24mm, which is a very useful focal length on DX (24mm on the 10-24mm is very, very sharp in my experience).

Decide what you need more, range or low-light ability.  Either lens appears to be a winner.

JoshRtek's gear list:JoshRtek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wf1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow