nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 for D7100

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,746
Re: nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 for D7100

The tokina 12-28 might be an interesting option, again if you value some extra focal length.  I actually have it but haven't used it enough to give a final opinion on it (early thoughts are quite positive).  I have shot with it directly at the sun and it did just fine, no worse than the nikon 10-24.  From reading the specs it sounds as if Tokina has changed their formula a bit so perhaps there will be improvements in CA & flare (the 11-16 both versions and 12-24 all had 13 elements in 11 groups and the 12-28 has 14 in 12, and just looking at the diagrams the aspherical lenses have changed shape a bit, so it does look to be a pretty different optical design).

Here's some of my early thoughts, images and a loose comparison to the nikon 10-24: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3511791

I somewhat put some blind faith in Tokina by buying this before any reviews have come out, but Tokina seems to do wide angle pretty darn well so I went for it.

Nexu1's gear list:Nexu1's gear list
Nikon D750
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wf1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow