E-1 - temptated .. but what about 5 MP DETAIL ?!? Locked

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,862
Re: Other considerations ('all else' is never equal)

boggis the cat wrote:

I prefer the E-1 colour rendition to the E-5. If I were shooting something where the pixel count was not greatly important and low light were not an issue, but I wanted more pleasing colours (portraiture, for example) then the E-1 would be my choice.

That's when the E-1 IS my choice.

At base ISO, I don't believe that the E-5 necessarily has an 'IQ' advantage. It would depend on the subject being shot and the conditions. Olympus seem to have poured much more effort into the E-1 (being the first of the system and the flagship body) and the Kodak sensor has some advantages over the later Panasonic NMOS variants.

The output from that excellent Kodak CCD sensor ... plus the over ergonomics of the camera ... is what distinguishes the E-1 from my other cameras. I don't and won't use the E-1 for everything, and I wouldn't ever use it for indoor shooting. But when I feel it's appropriate to the task, I won't hesitant to grab it and go. When it's not appropriate, I have several other choices.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-E2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow