Started Jul 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 42,028
Re: a more interesting question is:

Bobn2 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Does 'more resolution' significantly increase the IQ of the picture? More resolution is easy to measure ... perhaps the easiest IQ element to measure. Perhaps that is why so many people are so obsessed with it.

First you'd need to decide what you mean by 'IQ'.

Indeed:

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm#IQ

Something of a read, I know, but sometimes a sentence or two just doesn't do the topic justice, in my opinion.

The use of the term is interesting, some people some to use it as though it is something orthogonal to resolution, but for myself I think that resolution is probably the most important component of image quality.

Myself, I disagree. Perhaps overall, that's the case. But for any particular photo, I think it's easy to see how some other element of IQ might matter more.

Of course, what plays heavily into this is the viewer's subjective QT (Quality Threshold). For example, one could quite reasonably say that the 36 MP of the D800 offers nothing over the 5 MP of the E1 for a 4x6 inch print, and that other elements of IQ matter more (e.g. color, bokeh, etc.). In other words, once resolution exceeds the viewer's QT, any additional gains are inconsequential.

Besides that, I'm just of the opinion that, for the vast majority, the IQ differential for all modern (and many not-so-modern) systems really doesn't matter much for any competently captured and processed photo, except for extreme situations (really low light, strong crop, etc.).

Again, it has a lot to do with the size the photo is displayed, how closely it's viewed, and the visual acuity of the viewer. I think this ancient post of mine:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/24480689

sums up my position nicely.  But I think we all know that my position is, and always has been, in one tail or the other of the bell curve. 

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow