Fuji X-m1 /18-55 or Ricoh GR ?

Started Jul 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Apples and Oranges

Such totally different cameras its almost hard to compare. Yes, the 18mm end of the Fuji 18-55 is probably very very close to as good as the GR lens and they're the same speed at f2.8. And the Fuji sensor is very very good, but its a very different sensor with its X-Trans array and Fuji seems to handle NR differently too. In my experience, Fuji tends to inflate its ISO numbers somewhere close to a full stop (I've seen this refuted technically but in my shooting, it seems real enough), so I'd argue the Ricoh is a bit better in low light. Both are great, but different. But the issue of size and operating characteristics (VERY different control setups) make this an apple to oranges comparison. If size is really no issue for you and you're OK with the control setup of the Fuji (I am for some types of shooting more than others), then the Fuji sounds like the better choice if you're looking for versatility. But size and controls are big differences here, so make sure that's really what you want.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow