Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,930
This is not entirely true...

georgeRC wrote:

Karl Persson wrote:

You are wrong. Different monitor gain, aperture doesn´t change.

You are right - pressing OK does not change the aperture. I tried to find information in the manual on what the OK button is supposed to do - but no luck, as far as I can tell Nikon has created an undocumented feature.

Page 46 explains the OK button in live view. It says "During live view photography, you can press OK to preview the effects of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity on exposure." ...and so on. Easy to test. Set the aperture to f/8 in a normal room light, fix the ISO to something reasonable, like ISO400, adjust EC between +5 and -5 and you will notice that the displayed image will remain the same. Now press OK, the EC scale will be displayed on the right, but just like page 46 says, the scale will display only between +/-3. Never the less, as you rotate the dial and change the compensation up and down the image becomes brighter or darker, simulating the compensation. Changing the ISO has no effect on the displayed image, the noise remains the same and of course but if you dial in too low ISO the image becomes dark if the OK is pressed and the LCD gain takes care of the more or less constant intensity if OK is not pressed.

If this did not work correctly before, it does definitely work now as I would expect it to work and is according to the manual.

However, in LV + Manual exposure mode the lens is stopped down to the aperture you select, so you can zoom in and get an accurate look at DOF and focus for the aperture you have selected.

You can do that in A and S modes also if you press OK in live view. DOF on that tiny display is difficult to see, but since the camera always uses the selected aperture, the DOF is almost "what you see is what you get".

How this worked before the FW update, I don't exactly know; but as things stand now it seems that LV can be used to check focus for the aperture you select, and you can change the aperture while in LV by using the sub-command dial.

You could always change the aperture in live view, even before. The bug in the Nikon live view implementation is that it always uses the selected aperture in CDAF mode, as opposed to PDAF, where the widest aperture is used unless you stop down manually. Of course, before the shutter is triggered the aperture always stops down as well, but for focus in PDAF mode the maximum aperture is used, regardless what you have selected. In CDAF mode (live view) the selected aperture is used for focusing, which in my opinion is a bug.

As to trap focus - I'm with you - there is no reason for Nikon to have removed this feature, and no reason for them not to make this an option with a FW update.

Nikon have not removed focus trap, it was not implemented in the D800. Would be useful in some situations, I agree, but it was never there, so it couldn't have been removed. All cameras offer some differences in between models.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow