Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Marc Heijligers Contributing Member • Posts: 589
Re: I have NEVER tested my D800E

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

The combination of the following 2 sentences is a nice way of telling that you belong to the 90-95% of people not using the camera to its full potential

And anyway, it's mostly on the Left AF point, and frankly I don't even care.

I would say that only 5-10% of the people who own a D800E even use the camera to its full potential.

The rest of the people shoot the camera like it's a D700, and therefore removing the years of resolution progress that has been made from then until now. If you aren't printing large, buy a D700 or a D3 or D3s. The D800E is meant for resolution, it is the #1 reason for its existence.

How about dynamic range? Before the D600 was released, it was the first camera with such a dynamic range.

The D800e is meant for live-view or otherwise taking your sweet time getting the best shot in a studio environment where you are tethered to your computer and your hands are not on the camera which is set to manual focus, no VR, mirror up, and a remote or in this case a tether to the computer (hands off!!!) or for natural landscapes with the same precautions.

So it must have been a mistake that Nikon put an AF sensor in it??? In case you use it in studios for portrait photography, I guess you also need to literally freeze your subjects???

I prefer to use something more practical, it is called "fast shutter speed", which gives me the same sort of sharpness with handhold pictures in the field. The potential use-cases of the camera goes further than the most extreme  resolution case one can think of.

Believe me when I say to you that no one who is shooting landscapes or studio will care all that much about the Left AF not working. Like I said, mine could be the worst that has ever been made. I wouldn't know, it will never ever show, and I don't care.

So what exactly is then your motivation to react in this thread?

The camera was made for specific groups of people. They know that others will buy it anyway, but it's meant for studio and natural landscapes. It's not meant for street photography or sports or anything except those who have the forever and a day to set up the shot. If that's not you, then you can still take a picture with this amazing camera, but it is NOT what the camera was made for.

The D800 is a great multi-purpose camera, with an incredible resolution and dynamic range. For probably the majority of photos this is not required, either inside or outside the studio. But in case it is required some day/week/month/year, the option is there. It is called no limitations and luxury. What's wrong of having this at hand?

Despite all of the above, if left-AF is offered by the manufacturer, it should work properly.

Marc Heijligers's gear list:Marc Heijligers's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow