Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Marc Heijligers Contributing Member • Posts: 589
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Algorhythm wrote:

Well I spoke too soon and am not happy as a clam...

I figured that three bodies showing the same left focus problem might indicate that my 14-24 was actually a bad copy and causing the problem. However, I really scrutinized some images from it and I'm sure it's not causing the focus problems. It is definitely softer on the left side, but not enough to result in the focus issues I've been detecting. I AF tuned the lenses and the 14-24 needed no adjustment. The 28-300 needed +5. So, I shot a couple more flat surfaces just to be sure and it turns out the focus issue is present.

I'm not sure that what you see is a focus issue with your body. Looking at your pictures, the 28-300 and the 16mm hardly show any issues. There is some expected unsharpness at the left and right sides.

My suggestion is to try the 14-24 on for instance another FX camera, like a D700. In my case, my 24-70 lens shows similar unsharpness at the left focal point for both a D800 and D700. The underneath pictures shows on the left side the D700 results, and on the right side the (scaled) D800 results, from top-to-bottom Left, Middle and Right AF with PDAF. As you can see, both the left AF point results are unsharp.

Evaluating the lens sharpness on both bodies results in the following results for the D800 (0 is in focus, - is just acceptable back focus, -- is unsharp results due to back focus):

And the following results for the D700:

As you can see, results for the D700 are even worse.

This is really frustrating and I am astounded that 3 out of 3 bodies all have the same problem.

This would be a further hint to explore the lens in different conditions.

Marc Heijligers's gear list:Marc Heijligers's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow