Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Questions thread
CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

CFynn wrote:

Before you give yourself ulcers, ask yourself is this "issue" really going to be a problem in 99.9% of your photographs?

You mentioned earlier you are photographing paintings and landscapes.

For copying paintings use a (manual focus) lens designed for copy work on a tripod with live view, and good, flat lighting. (Any other lens is likely to have a curved field of focus and other issues.) In that situation autofocus is not a problem.

For landscape it is also preferable to use a tripod and live view - again autofocus not an issue.

If you are using autofocus for landscape, aren't you usually going to have the lens stopped down, isn't the subject is generally going to be further away than your test shots, and how often are you going to be using the left-most AF points?

Algorhythm wrote:

Well I spoke too soon and am not happy as a clam...

I figured that three bodies showing the same left focus problem might indicate that my 14-24 was actually a bad copy and causing the problem. However, I really scrutinized some images from it and I'm sure it's not causing the focus problems. It is definitely softer on the left side, but not enough to result in the focus issues I've been detecting. I AF tuned the lenses and the 14-24 needed no adjustment. The 28-300 needed +5. So, I shot a couple more flat surfaces just to be sure and it turns out the focus issue is present.

When shooting flat surfaces - use a lens with a flat field of focus and make sure your camera is aligned on a perfectly parrallel plane with the subject.

The outer AF points are never going to be anywhere near as reliable as the central point. Nobody claims that they are.

This is really frustrating and I am astounded that 3 out of 3 bodies all have the same problem. I'm sending the current body back and will keep doing so until I get one that works correctly. Perhaps it's time for a refund and new merchant, instead of more exchanges and two-week delays. I've been dealing with B&H but maybe I'll try Amazon. If I have to exchange yet another body it will probably be quicker.

All the major vendors get their stock from the Nikon distributor in their country. Changing dealears seems unlikely to make any real difference. If anything, a longer time taken for the exchange probably decreases the chances of you getting a camera from the same batch.

If anyone's curious, the serial number of this current body is: 30140XX.

+1, a voice of reason!

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow