Aperture with PT Lens (or alternative) work flow

Started Jun 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Veteran Member • Posts: 9,541
Re: Aperture supports m43 in-camera lens corrections

Hen3ry wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

One thing that a lot of people overlook and that's becoming more relevant is the application of lens corrections in-camera. Micro Fourth Thirds cameras apply own-brand lens corrections to both JPEG and RAW files in-camera, and Aperture supports these corrections when processing RAW. So, when I import into Aperture RAW files made with Panasonic lenses on my Panasonic bodies, vignetting, distortion and (I think) chromatic aberration are all corrected by Aperture using data embedded in the RAW file by the Panasonic body. So, if you're shooting with a same-brand m43 camera and lens, you don't need PTLens or Lightroom's built-in lens correction tools.

Jacques, I’m sorry, but this is misleading. Panny does a bit more lens correction than Olympus does (it corrects CA for example), but they don't all distortion and neither of the two m43 cameras corrects the other's lens distortions.

I did say that the camera and lens had to be of the same brand and that this was becoming more relevant, not that it was universal. Still, I take your point. As a Panasonic shooter, I wasn't aware that Olympus did not apply correction for all of its lenses. I think we can expect this to improve in the future, though. My Panny GX1 and G3 do a great job correcting my 7-14, 14-45 and 45-200 zooms. I sure wish my Canon pro gear had this feature. The 17-40 f4L and 35 f2 could use some help with distortion and fall-off respectively.

-- hide signature --

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow