Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Questions thread
vincent__l Regular Member • Posts: 336
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

If you're directly comparing the PDAF against the CDAF why would it matter if you have a "tilted element ?" You're comparing two different AF systems using the same region of the lens. The relative sharpness between PDAF and CDAF should about the same, allowing for more shot to shot variance with PDAF.

Algorhythm wrote:

Update:

I received a replacement body via UPS this morning. I tested it with a 14-24mm, 28-300mm, and 16mm fisheye.

The body appears to be perfect with the 28-300mm and 16mm. With the 16mm, viewfinder focus is tack sharp and sometimes even a tiny bit sharper than live view, and all the 28-300mm tests show identical sharpness.

However, the 14-24mm gave similarly soft results again, and upon further inspection of its live view exposures, I noticed that the left side of the images is consistently soft. The 14-24mm is supposed to be remarkably sharp across the frame, and the results I saw were very soft on the left, sharp in the center, and somewhat soft on the right. There was a definite difference between left and right sides, and this was visible on all bodies that the lens was used with.

Apparently the 14-24mm has a tilted or decentered element and I may have needlessly exchanged bodies while assuming the 14-24mm was suitable for focus testing. Or, maybe it accentuated the left focus issue of the previous body. In any case, I'll send in the 14-24, and keep the body I just received.

Otherwise I'm happy as a clam with this D800E and can't wait to put it to use in the field.

Cheers.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow