The Heartbreak of Accidentally Shooting 'jpeg basic'

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,205
The Heartbreak of Accidentally Shooting 'jpeg basic'

Intentionally shooting the D800 in 'jpeg basic' is like intentionally stripping out the top four gears of your Enzo.

I guess what I did was drive my Enzo around for a day not realizing that I never slid it out of 2nd.

I had some relatives from Sweden visiting, and a couple minor family events to document, and I wanted to use the D800.  Everything went well, things were captured when/how I wanted, the AF lock was thrilling, etc, etc, you know the story with the D800.

When I finally downloaded the sets and started to play with the first few shots, I didn't even notice the filenames right away - the first thing I noticed was the drastic lack of 'play' in the files.  I could barely lift shadows, highlights ignored my 'lower' demands, I felt like I had about 3 stops of DR to work with.

Then, to my abject horror, I noticed the filename extension - ".jpeg".

Panicked, I rifled back through the files in the library, until I found the last .NEF, where the break to jpeg began - luckily, it didn't go back too far, maybe 500 shots.  But it was enough.

Still have no clue how it happened.  I must have been twirling dials, accessing the menu, doing things too fast and at the same time.  Since its never happened before I don't really know what combo of actions did it, and I'm not ruling out the possibility of some toddler camera-playing happening, which they like to do... But a real man doesn't blame his three year old, right?    (at least not without damning evidence.)

Anyway, I'm safely back in NEF land with a lesson learned.  The jpegs still gave me some decent results for family/web sharing...  but I want my Ferrari to be a Ferrari.  

A few D800 "first Gear" jpeg basics:

(click 'original size' and then '+' to see detail or lack thereof)

Sigma 100-300 f4 wide-open

Sigma 100-300 f4 wide-open ISO 1600

Sigma 100-300 wide open

Nikon 20mm f/2.8D f8

Here's the Sigma's resolution wide-open @ 300mm:

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow