Best camera for kayaking
I have used several waterproof cameras over the years including enthusiast models in underwater housings. I use them mainly for whitewater kayaking, but sometimes underwater or at the beach. By far the best has been the Sony RX100 in a housing. The housing is bulky but worth the effort to carry it because of the image quality.
I often shoot on overcast days or in the rain. Many of the river valleys do not get full sun as the day wears on. I am almost always shooting one-handed while floating in the kayak. The boat is often rocking or spinning slowly.
Here are a few samples from a recent trip on the Gauley River in WV:
Pull up the originals to see the detail in these images.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%