27" iMac questions

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: For the same price which of these two 27" iMacs would you choose?

coronawithlime wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

coronawithlime wrote:

On a 27" iMac, you're talking maybe $70 to upgrade from 8 GB of factory-installed RAM (2 x 4 GB) to 16 GB (keep the factory-installed RAM, and drop a third-party 8 GB module into an open slot).

According to the Apple on-line configuration tool for a base spec 27" iMac ( http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD095LL/A? ) going from 8 to 16 is $200 and from 8 to 32 is $600. Apple prices of course are exorbitant compared to after market. I upgraded through OWC for much less, although I'm told they have gone up a bit.

That's why I said "$70 ... to upgrade to 16 GB ... drop a third-party 8 GB module into an open slot." (Those modules went down to $50 each for a while, but I think $70 may be closer to the price now.)

Which illustrates why you don't buy factory installed ram. Apple will rip your shorts off.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

To be fair all computer manufacturers try and get you on ram upgrades. You are always best off doing it yourself, if possible.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow