Organizing your photos - software used, best methods and categories

Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 52,337
Re: Exactly

happypoppeye wrote:

I got to admit, I have no reason to add any type of metadata like that and never needed to search for anything like that.

I rarely need to search across the entire catalog, but it does happen occasionally.

I guess I can see why people would need it, but I just don't. I sell images on place, not on any type of technical aspect. I guess it's good for advertising and stock type images, but otherwise, its always been the subject and what the photo contains, not what it is taken with.

So this just happened to me.  My grandfather died.  I wanted to make a sort of a collection board of images of him.  I have images of him from birthdays, holidays, trips, with my kids, and so on.  If my images had been keyworded, I could have had all images containing him up in a flash.  I didn't, so I just searched a few folders based on a couple of technical aspects (recent images, taken with SLRs, ranked pretty good).  Even without the keywords, I reduced my 160,000 image catalog to a few thousand to search through visually.

There are lots of uses for this even for people like me that don't shoot stock and primarily organize by event.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow