What We LIKE About Sigma and Foveon...

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
OP Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,355
Re: What We LIKE About Sigma and Foveon...

NancyP wrote:

DP2M: small size and weight, even with attached Hoodman loupe and case. Main use: landscape. Lovely detail and color. Good for walk-around and for hiking. Thinking about getting DP1M - want width for landscapes. I am learning a pano program, and I will give the DP2M a shot at pano.

As for Sigma interchangeable lenses: I own two. 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 (APSC only) and 35mm f/1.4 (FF). The 8-16mm lens is unique for 8 mm rectilinear projection focal length, and I use the lens at 8-10mm mostly. The 35mm f/1.4 is an affordable sharp standard/wide lens with autofocus. I am rediscovering the joys of thin DOF last experienced by me in the early 1970s with a film camera and 55mm f/1.4.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Hi Nancy,

It really is a nice advantage to be able to carry a little, light camera with near medium format resolution and detail. I too use a third-party (Carry Speed) viewer with my DP2 Merrill. Truthfully, I think the DP3 Merrill would be a "wonderful" tool for panos. Even though the DP2 M can be used, the advantage is only in putting more "real-estate" in the frame. There really isn't any increase in effective resolution because to get that requires telephoto and the DP2 M is pretty close to "neutral" in that respect with 45mm effective. I've used my DP2 M for some panos and it stitches beautifully with about a 20% overlap. This amount of overlap effectively removes any CA and edge of frame perspective distortion at all from the final stitch without even the software (SPP) having to deal with it.

I would love to see the results of your stitching when you finish one!

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans's gear list:Lin Evans's gear list
Olympus E-10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow