Organizing your photos - software used, best methods and categories

Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
edhannon
edhannon Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
Re: Who and how to retrieve?

jonathanj wrote:

To the people with large collections of scanned slides / negatives, how did you go about sorting and selecting them? The year before last (and it really did take a year) I scanned my pre-digital negatives and my parents' slides and negatives. Now I have 10,000 TIF files on an external drive, folder per film, and I've yet to work out how to approach them. Some I have notes on, some I can recognise places and/or dates, some are blurred photos of complete strangers....

For post-digital camear photos I use Lightroom, but with no metadata on the scans I'm not sure whether it will be a help or a hindrance - even things like viewing pictures in non-random order is going to be difficult...

I scan the negatives and slides, put them in folders organized by approximate year and month, import them into LR, and then do the same triage I did for my pre-LR digital images.

Triage sorts then into three categories:

1. Junk (OOF, really bad exposure, etc.) - delete.

2.  Clearly keepers with known subjects - add keywords, especially names of individuals and places.

3.  Need further review to determine what it is - flag.

It will take awhile to do 10,000 images - even at 10 seconds per image that is around 30 hours.

However, any sort of review/triage will take at least that long. So you might as well tag the knowns with keywords while you triage.

-- hide signature --
 edhannon's gear list:edhannon's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow