Advantages of Foveon sensor Locked

Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 12,136
Re: There is at least one absolute, and you refuse it.

Bobn2 wrote:

Certainly, I was assuming visible light, between about 0.45 and 0.75 μm, where as you see from your graph the transmission is zero.

Zero??!! Fell right into the trap

May I recommend some light reading on absorption depth in silicon? It involves the probability of about 63% absorption vs depth for a given wavelength. In the graph above we see that, for 0.75um, 63% of photons are absorbed at a depth of about 10um in silicon leaving 37% free to proceed onward through the material. In other words, the transmissivity at 0.75um is 37% at 10um depth. Ergo, the transmission is not zero in spite of the claim made above.

Here's a 14MP Foveon sensor cross-section - not real thick as can be seen.

-- hide signature --

SD9, SD10, EF-500, GH1.

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow