Should New Camera Be in Sealed Box?

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Re: Should New Camera Be in Sealed Box?

Alphoid wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Moreover, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if there were two cameras on the shelf and one had a slightly torn box, you'd pick the other every time.

With stores I like, in many cases, I've quite explicitly done the opposite, and picked the slightly torn box. It doesn't effect product performance. I don't care and I know others do.

Lenses would be an exception to this, depending on how the box was torn. A drop can cause a lens to fall out-of-calibration. I still wouldn't mind gently tried for a few days (weeks would be pushing it), but I would mind visible impact damage to the box (assuming it corresponded to greater impact than what it normally gets in my camera bag).

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on this. Take it easy.

I'm good with that. In an ideal world, there'd be stores of both kinds for both types. You'd get guaranteed new, and I'd get no or minimal restocking fees.

Yeah, I'm with Alphoid on this.   I'd be perfectly happy taking the opened box as long as the store had a good return policy.   I'd probably get them to note the damage on the receipt and sign it, if it was obvious.  I've bough demo units (at a discount) and refurbished goods.   They've all worked fine. I don't even mind the restocking fees since I so rarely have returned anything (and those were damaged, not just to my liking.).   I enjoy researching products so have a very good idea what I'm buying.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow