Will Thom's prediction come true? Locked

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 56,762
Re: Lots of nonsense here

Tom Schum wrote:

I prefer to believe Sigma makes cameras as a hobby. I don't see it making any financial sense but I am glad they have this hobby.

As a "halo" product, I think cameras do increase Sigma's credibility as a lens maker, especially the DPxM series where the lenses are used to maximum advantage.

Sigma's hand might have been forced wth Foveon; use rights might have disappeared had Sigma not bought what was left of Foveon. Just a guess though.

Also, I don't see any clear reason why Sigma could not succeed with their cameras if they used Sony bayer sensors, but that's just me.

I think we can be glad somebody at Sigma likes Foveon.

That is a very level headed post. I like Sigma as a company and the Foveon idea is very, very clever. It's just that it wasn't by any tenable argument a commercial success, and it's very difficult to make a convincing argument that Sigma makes any money on either the camera or sensor business, but as a private company it doesn't have to - all it has to do is satisfy the wants and needs of the Yamaki family - and presumably that's what they do. The lens business is very successful, so they can afford o carry businesses that are not profit making. If they were a public company the pressures would be somewhat different

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow