Will Thom's prediction come true? Locked

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: 34GB DP2M w/o a histogram study in the field

David, Lin, having taken some 34GB of DP2Merrill photos in Hawaii and Seattle over the past weeks, I don't recall  once studying the histogram in the field to adjust settings. And I've been wowed by what's coming out of that little box.

Note how I've written so often that one needs to 'learn' the best basic settings for the camera and that they can vary depending upon the scene and locale. I've gotten that down right I think now with the DP2Merrill. When you're shooting in bright light, you need to know and trust the camera.... it's auto functions are probably better than what you can pick from a JPEG histogram if you select fully manual! The most useful function is actually the grid lines to line up your horizons straight, more or less straight in my case. I still have a fair number of tilted horizons, need to trim/straighten in Canon's DPP LOL.

The DP2Merrill held highlights and big dynamic range scenes well. About my only blown highlights are waves breaking... the white foam which is actually pretty bright anyway. I haven't studied the SD15 comparison photos much yet to see how they were coming out. I've learned to meter highlights for the SD15, as it tends to blow out highlights a lot faster than the DP2Merrill. I shot the DP2Merrill pretty consistently on ISO100 PLUS .3EV... I changed my METERING for the different scene circumstances.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

PS: no battery issues at all with the DP2Merrill, as I recharged batteries used at night. Generally I only used one per day, some days two. I don't recall anytime going to a third battery in one day. I did run through my 16GB card shockingly fast, then tried to temper the number of shots I was taking. I ended up using 18GB on my second 32GB card, so I had room there to spare. One 32GB card would have been too limited for 3 weeks; of course on some travel days I was not taking photos.

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow