Oh so average. Could have been better.

Started Jun 19, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,923
Oh so average. Could have been better.

From the off I must state I have limited experience with the camera. As a camera type the idea of a weatherproof pocket alternative to my main camera was an attraction. However once the internet purchase arrived the disappointment began.

First of all - good lens, crisp resolution at base ISO. Not bad at all and certainly enough for the camera type. The look and feel of the camera is fine. All boxes ticked on the camera exterior.

But then we come to the photographs. Now whilst I came into this purchase with truly no great demands of the image quality, I was surprised to realise I was expecting better; much better. Let's not mess about; samples:

Well. All I can say is that this is just hopeless.

My main camera is an FZ50, and the images from both cannot be put together in the same slideshow.

Try indoors:

Yikes!Download the originals and check them out. Just horrific.

And again an FZ50 image for comparison.

Now no matter how much sugar you put on this, you simply cannot keep FT20 images in the same building as your other photographs. They are simply shown up as very poor indeed. And there is a high price to pay in storage memory as well. The samples above collect to 13,127kb for the FT20, and 3339kb for the FZ50; very close to four times the storage space needed for the FT20! And for what!

There are occasions, in good light, where the FT20 will out resolve the FZ50. And again, in the brightest of light, the FT20 will take a good photograph. But the cameras image quality is limited to and extremely narrow band of conditions. The whole idea of a weatherproof pocket average snappy is negated by a near on zero keeper rate.

Were I designing this camera, I would give it a quality 3MP sensor, not the pixel packed struggle biscuit that's in it at the moment. I use this camera to perform structural surveys on ship. It's OK. That is all. For this I give it one and a half stars.

This camera has been superseded. But unless a revelation in image quality has been realised in the upgrade, be very wary.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/show (some real gems in there). With the FZ200 performance so good, I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao has triggered the update to the FZ50. Our desire for IQ was taking us in the wrong direction. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 (Lumix DMC-FT20)
16 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 25 – 100 mm (4×)
Announced: Jan 31, 2012
John Miles's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
mediocre
Portraits
acceptable
Low light (without flash)
bad
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 (Lumix DMC-FT20)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow