Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Biological_Viewfinder Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
I have NEVER tested my D800E

AND I NEVER WILL.

I really could care less. The thing is going to be worth a mere $200 or so in a decade anyway.

Why should I care when my future-self doesn't even look in the D800E folders anymore, because he's so much more involved with the new camera he has in the future instead of this one.

And anyway, it's mostly on the Left AF point, and frankly I don't even care.

I would say that only 5-10% of the people who own a D800E even use the camera to its full potential. The rest of the people shoot the camera like it's a D700, and therefore removing the years of resolution progress that has been made from then until now. If you aren't printing large, buy a D700 or a D3 or D3s. The D800E is meant for resolution, it is the #1 reason for its existence. If you aren't using that by printing large or cropping hard, then you might as well have a D3s or D3 or D700. It really makes no sense for most D800E owners to even have the camera at all.

The D800e is meant for live-view or otherwise taking your sweet time getting the best shot in a studio environment where you are tethered to your computer and your hands are not on the camera which is set to manual focus, no VR, mirror up, and a remote or in this case a tether to the computer (hands off!!!) or for natural landscapes with the same precautions.

People *USE* the D800E for all sorts of stuff, but the camera was specifically designed for its resolution and those who can take their time to collect all the resolution that is available from this camera. Can you use it like a D4 or a D3s? Sort of, but that's not what it was made for.

Believe me when I say to you that no one who is shooting landscapes or studio will care all that much about the Left AF not working. Like I said, mine could be the worst that has ever been made. I wouldn't know, it will never ever show, and I don't care.

The camera was made for specific groups of people. They know that others will buy it anyway, but it's meant for studio and natural landscapes. It's not meant for street photography or sports or anything except those who have the forever and a day to set up the shot. If that's not you, then you can still take a picture with this amazing camera, but it is NOT what the camera was made for.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
glo
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow