Question About OM-D for the OM-D Users

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
GingerBread Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: Question About OM-D for the OM-D Users

rrr_hhh wrote:

At high ISOs the Nex-7 is impaired by its high pixels density and becomes quite noisy. The Nex-6 should have about one stop advantage, but on the other hand there ar a lot of faster and sharp primes lenses for the MFT format and the 5axes IBIS does wonders, so you may end with the same perfrmances in reality.

Overall performance is pretty close.  The E-M5 has a similar pixel density to the NEX 7, and in fact, I think the E-M5's density is a little higher.  DXO ranks the NEX 7 slightly better than the E-M5 for high ISO noise, and the 5N/5R and 6 are better than the 7.  Not that the E-M5 is bad, it isn't.  It is quite good in my opinion, and preferable over my 7 if I'm walking around at night, mostly because I have faster lenses for the E-M5.  The E-M5's auto focus is quicker and more reliable than the Sony, particularly in low light, which helps, as does the ability to use IBIS for hand held shots.  Of course IBIS doesn't stop subject motion, so if your scene isn't static, the usefulness of IBIS isn't quite as great.  When I walk around with the 7 at night, I'm much more cautious about bracing it against a light pole or something like that before I shoot.

Both systems are very good; the sensors are a little better in the current NEX cameras, but the lens selection and IBIS have kept me from going completely NEX.  If you ever shoot much with old legacy lenses, the IBIS of the Oly is a great feature to have.

You really can't go wrong with either, but which is better for you depends on what you shoot.

-- hide signature --

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow