Are we all clients of Sony ?

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF Senior Member • Posts: 2,237
Re: Just for the record (Hey Bob! A question)

Bobn2 wrote:

Nikon - Well, they're 16MP APS-C cameras and the D600 do. Do any others? I thought the new 24MP cameras used a toshiba sensor. No idea who makes the D4 or D800 sensor.

Nikon 1 - Aptina sensor

D3200 - Nikon sensor

D5200 - Toshiba sensor

D7100 - Toshiba sensor

D600 - Sony sensor

D800 - Sony sensor

D4 - Nikon sensor

Nikon sensors are truly Nikon sensors, fabrication of the wafers is outsourced to foundries, but that is also true of some of Sony's production, part of Canon's process and all of Foveon, Aptina's and Omnivision's production.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Just for curiosity, since you apparently know about the ins and outs, do you have any take on why Nikon isn't designing and having made their recent cameras?  I know the Sony and Toshiba sensors are excellent, but Nikon has a lot of experience at this, too, and must have a substantial patent portfolio.   Or do licensing agreements mean Sony and Toshiba have been able to use Nikon-owned IP in their designs?   It would seem a bit risky dropping out of designing sensors completely, but that seems to be happening (the D3200 not being the newest design.)

I have a V1 and did a bit of reading on the Aptina sensor when I bought it.   Nikon seems to have been heavily involved in the design of those sensors, though using Aptina technology fundamentally.   Which made sense for an unusual new sensor from a company that hadn't made anything so ambitious.   I wish its dynamic range was better, but in general the sensor is quite good.   It certainly enabled some fancy features still unequaled by others in the still camera world.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow