EF500mmf5.6LIS

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682
Re: Would sell like hot cakes.

rwbaron wrote:

IMO the best predictor is what they've done in the past and are currently doing. If you look at all their tele's from 200mm up there's roughly a 5:1 price factor for that 1 extra stop. That considers the oldest lenses are the slower 200f2.8, 300f4LIS and 400f5.6L which have long ago covered their design, engineering and tooling cost so Canon's cost per unit is very low compared to the newer lenses. One fifth of the 500f4LISII is roughly $2K USD which is fantasy I'll admit but even at twice the price I think it would still have considerable appeal and sell well. The question is could Canon make money selling the lens for $4K and none of us know that but $4K sounds about right to me for the market.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I do not think that for 4 or 5 k USD such a lens would sell well knowing that there is a 6-7 k USD version with f/5.6 and 600 mm (onwing this combo and knowing it's optical quality)

If you you get a loan on you house for buying a lens you probably take the upper one

Also on the weight I am highly skeptical that such a lens would be much lighter then a 300 f/2.8 plus a 2x converter.

Recently there have been rumors about new DO lenses and I think that construction type is even more cost driving.

So I see weight and a large aperture as the driving force for the development at Canon. Canon surely want to excel in every aspect and an optically outstanding and comparable small 400 f/4.0 DO would be much more appealing to traveling photographers then a 500 f/5.6.

With the DO construction it might be smaller (=shroter and thinner for most of the construction) and most of all lighter and still a worthwile rnge for many - you might get a fabulous 560 f/5.6 with such a lens - I would opt for that - a 400 f/4.0 would be much more appealing to me and many PROs - especially when it is significantly below 2 kg and optically outstanding (like the current one is not)

just my 2CT of course

I am jut trying to think like the marketing guys from Canon and not like a nerd with a wish list.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow