EF500mmf5.6LIS

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 12,857
Re: Does anyone really think....

HarryLally wrote:

.... the magnesium alloy construction of these lenses is really necessary? It must add a huge cost and a lot of weight. Most users don't operate in a war zone - I live in London UK, not Syria or Afghanistan - so why can't Canon just make the body in plastic. And black plastic at that. Most of these white lenses don't have fluorite elements these days so why not move to black plastic bodies and save cost and weight. I have the white 70-200 f4L IS, 300 f4L IS and the 400 f5.6L - the latter two unnecessarily heavy. I wouldn't consider a 500 f5.6L for those reasons.

Michael

Magnesium alloy is light and I don't believe the source of the weight.  The lens elements are.

Super tele lens barrels need to be dimensionally stable over temperture extremes.  Not sure how engineered plastics would perform in that regard.  They may be fine for smaller lenses but once the barrel starts approaching a couple feet in length.......?

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow