EF500mmf5.6LIS

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682
Re: Would sell like hot cakes.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

. . . We mustn't try to over-analyse this - all I'm saying is that we can use this observation to give us a very rough but objective estimate for the price of the hypothetical 500/5.6L, free of the wishful thinking that tends to permeate these discussions.

fully agree - if a wish list 500 f/5.6 should be excellent wide open it would probably have a similar construction as the tele II lenses.

Thus it would be out of range of many enthusiasts - may it be on the lower end or the higher end. Thus a minority would buy it and thus the lens makes no sense for Canon since the PROs buy fast lenses if possible or use even a 100-400 for light traveling.

All I am saying is that a 500 f/5.6 might probably never happen from Canon and I am not overdoing the analyses - I just followed your suggestion with the equation you made that similar lenses should have a similar quotient - and this is IMHO not at all the case - not even the similar longer tele lenses have a narrow distribution - a 25 % bandwidth is a lot of uncertainty - making e.g a price of 10 or 12.5 k USD possible as an estimation

What I really try to point out is that predictions are most of the time pointless - even with complicated thoughts in advance - it is just IMHO impossible to estimate a price based on the front lens diameter - even if they share a similar design - most of the time we see market prices rather then bottom up calculated prices.

The 200-400 1.4x is as expensive as it is - and if Canon's photo marketing feels that they can charge 1 or 2 k USD more - they will do so - independent from the front lens diameter

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow