EF500mmf5.6LIS

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,671
Re: EF500mmf5.6LIS

mattr wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

You can't introduce a completely new lens without poaching some sales from the nearest equivalents. But I think a 500/5.6 would take at least as many from below as from above.

Agreed. - I think Canon (and Nikon) make a mistake not offering such lenses. Just speaking for myself, the reason I still don't own anything bigger than a 400/5.6 is not the cost but the fact that I just don't see myself lugging around something like a 500/4. I want my wildlife photography to be nimble and often without tripod.

That was a big part of my motivation for choosing the 300/2.8L II plus Extenders. It's light enough to carry on my back all day in a reasonably sized bag, and it's hand-holdable for moderate periods. It's a pleasure to use on a very light monopod.

I've had the rather odd experience, two or three times now, of people with 500/4's looking approvingly (longingly?) at my smaller, lighter 600/5.6 combo. It's quite funny really - like lens envy in reverse!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow