EF500mmf5.6LIS

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,016
Re: EF500mmf5.6LIS

mattr wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

The question which would be in Canon's mind of course is how many sales would it take from the more expensive options? Not many I suspect - most of those who can afford/justify the 500/4 will still want it, and those who prefer the flexibility and small size of the 300/2.8 plus extenders will still want that. And for every one it does take from 'above', it could also tempt a 100-400L owner who can't justify the huge leap to the 300/2.8 or 500/4.

Photographers who want state of the art stabilization or more reach than the (old) 400/5.6 or 100-400 provide and who don't want to deal with TCs are currently forced to consider the huge and heavy 500/4. I suspect many would be more happy with a 500/5.6, even when the price does not factor in. Thus, such a lens could well take some sales from the bigger supertele lenses.

Certainly there will be some who could theoretically afford the price of the 500/4 but would breathe a sigh of relief and take a 500/5.6 at half the price. But if you read the birding forums and meet a few birders, you'll find that they frequently use the 500/4 with a 1.4x extender - which would work much less well with a 500/5.6.

You can't introduce a completely new lens without poaching some sales from the nearest equivalents. But I think a 500/5.6 would take at least as many from below as from above.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow