Jpeg or RAW ( & Why) June 2013

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Photos thread
walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: What is the "HDR Look"?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

This reminds me of intense discussions about a year ago when I was convinced that OOC JPEGS were perfectly adequate if (and only if) the photog knew how to set the camera up properly to capture the scene and to perform the on-board demosaicing. It took me a while to shake that burden and to learn how to shoot RAW in a way that would give me the most useful data for demosaicing and post-processing in software such as Lightroom.

I guess this is supposed to be an insult, implying I'm a neophyte who doesn't know how or why to go beyond camera jpegs? It is possible to have full experience with Raw, and then choose to go back to using jpegs and minimal processing.

Without looking too far I found this very interesting image.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2434447585/photos/2566441/jpt-2012-10-22-25-1

I wish that I had made that shot! I would've shot it in RAW, ETTR , using spot metering to load the sensor optimally (not worrying about the small number of specular reflections). In PP I would've pushed those shadows, just a little bit, enough to get some subdued but normal detail, but not so much to reduce the great contrast between the light reflected by the horizontal and vertical surfaces in the image.

Of course there is not much that can be done to recover the image now.

I used a Canon AE-1 Program with Kodak Portra 160 for that shot. The A series cameras all have center-weighted meters, and 35mm film scans don't take too well to "pushing the shadows". Anyhow, in this case increasing shadow detail would be a distraction from the diagonal of light and long shadows in the center. By the way that day was pretty close to "Manhattanhenge", the day the sun is exactly lined up with the east-west streets in the grid.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow