A prediction of the D400.

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
Re: A prediction of the D400.

Simon Garrett wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

I own the d300, d700, d800 and d3s. The d800 is not an action camera, IMO, and I don't use it for that.

I'm still trying to nail down what makes an "action camera". Or, more specifically, what some cameras lack.

I'm sure that different action shooters have different views on this, but very specifically: what differences between the D700 and D800 make the D700 an action camera and the D800 not? Is it just frame rate?

It's not just frame rate, although that is a big part.  It's the speed and responsiveness of the camera in all aspects of its operation. Everything is fast and precise in a good action camera.  Fast, accurate, precise AF and AF tracking, with short acquisition and blackout times are one part.  Ease of use, great UI, large buffer, fast write times to the cards are other important parts.  The camera performance as a whole is really what makes a good "action camera".

It's rather hard to explain to someone that doesn't shoot action.  I could show you much easier than I could tell you.  But, if you would take the time to simply compare the feature lists and performance specifications of the d3, d300 and d90, you could get a good idea of the capability that the d3 and d300 have that the d90 does not.  That capability is very important to an action shooter.

Hope that I've given you a better response to your question.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow