A prediction of the D400.

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,330
Re: A prediction of the D400.

HSway wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I think it's hard for people who don't shoot a lot of action to appreciate that segment of the market and what those photographers need to do their job or be competitive.

There sure is some true in it.

Looking in this direction: As it is, Nikon has created a spot for a fast camera. They have usually things thought through with the slrs and of course there is money to be made – let’s repeat, it's an important group of users and use in a few respects. So that 'created' would suggest a deliberate intent rather than an omission. It’s pretty likely the speed will be addressed either with d7100 successor or in another fx body or with both (perhaps in lesser degree with 7200 then). Or indeed, in a d400 that I see unlikely to come. And generally I think that Nikon will do some nice things in the near future, or will at least try to.

The reason I think Nikon will offer a semi-affordable action camera is that the D7100 has such a crippled buffer size.  If Nikon was not planning on a new semi-affordable action camera, they would have given the D7100 a little more buffer size (very small incremental cost for a little more RAM) and let it hold that spot in their lineup.  But because they didn't, they must have some other camera in mind to fill that need and they wanted to make sure the D7100 wasn't too good in that regard.

If there wasn't going to be a D400 or D750, then Nikon would have sold a lot more D7100s if they just gave it a decent buffer size and a little more RAM really wouldn't have added much to the cost.  They put the right AF in it.  It's got OK (not great) fps.  They just help back the buffer size.  I can think of no other reason for doing that then there is another camera coming that will fill that need.  I don't know if it will be DX or FX or one of each.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow