50mm or 85mm for portraits?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: Examples of 50 - 60 - 85

Klaus dk wrote:

The most prominent weakness of the 85mm 1:1.8 is longitudional colour abberation. Green OOF highlights in the backgrund and magenta in the foreground. I rarely see it, perhaps because I am usually above f/4, but I think it is fair to mention it.

This is also an issue with the EF 50mm f/1.4, so it really has little bearing on the original question of EF 50mm f/1.4 or EF 85mm f/1.8.

While the EF 50mm f/1.8 is a little soft at f/1.8 and its bokeh deteriorates rapidly when stopped down, I'm one of those who believes that you don't need (want) tack sharp portraits that shows off every blemish and wrinkle.

So, I don't see a big need for the EF 50mm f/1.4, given that the OP already is getting the EF 50mm f/1.8.

<rant>

The digital world has given us artificial sharpness in our photos. It's the cool in thing to do, but, it doesn't reflect reality. For the first 45+ years of my life I had 20/10 - 20/15 (better than normal), and I didn't perceive the world as this artificial ultra sharp world that is so popular in today's photos.

In my view it is a fad, and like all fads they come and go. Remember soft focus lenses?

</rant>

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow